Lately, on a sunny Sunday we were craving for something sweet! And too lazy to leave the house;-) Fortunately, we had some rhubarb stalks, previously bought for my favourite compote. So the choice was clearly simple – a Rhubarb cake ~ quick and tasty!
Rhubarb cake ~ quick and tasty!
200g fine whole cane sugar
270g spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
100 ml milk (soja, almond, cow,…)
1 pinch of salt
800 g rhubarb
1 vanilla pod
- Preheat the oven to 160° degrees
- Wash the rhubarb stalks, trim them and chop into small pieces (approx. 2 – 3 cm). Steam for about 5 minutes on low temperature together with the core oft he vanilla pod, until soft.
- In a bowl mix the butter with the sugar until white and fluffy.
- Separate the eggs, and add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in flour and baking powder, add the milk and mix to combine.
- Beat the egg whites and salt and beat until fluffy, then fold into the dough.
- Pour into a round cake pan (approx. 24 cm) that has been buttered or sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Now spread the rhubarb pieces around the top of the dough.
- Bake at 160° degrees for 40 min or until knife or skewer comes out clean.
Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on wire rack. Dust with icing sugar, if desired.
Cake is delicious served warm or cold with custard or cream, or just plain!
Enjoy baking and – of course – sharing it with family and/or friends;-)